X.org fails after 2.12. upgrade

Wilde, Donald dwilde at sandia.gov
Thu Nov 17 13:08:58 PST 2005

Progress: I discovered that gnome-session had not been rebuilt, and did
so from the command line in ports. I also cleaned up some whoopee!s
involving cairo and libpixman. Re-running portupgrade --all and sh
upgrade_gnome.sh, both complete successfully. (!!!)

However, although X.org starts now, Gnome does not. The first time, the
splash screen loads on a gray background, and then an error box shows up
in the upper left corner.

The error message is:

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
Failed to activate 'OAFID: GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

After CTRL-ALT-BKSP, I see, 5 times repeated,
Gnome_message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

and then I see "The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection..."

Hints? Failing an exact answer, I'll rerun cvsup and portupgrade and try
gnome_upgrade tomorrow when I can hit <ENTER>. :D

--
Don Wilde    Org 01737    505-844-1126
Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car. -