Summary of Adam's GNOME on BSD talk

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 27 00:58:26 PDT 2005

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Adam Weinberger píše v pá 27. 05. 2005 v 03:15 -0400:
>
>>Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>>
>>>adamw, do you still want to change the name (foobar2 -> foobar) if
>>>there  is no two of it?
>>
>>I can't even begin to explain how imperative I think this is. The
>>following steps must take place:
>

> Generally, I like it.
>

>>   2. The name should reflect the proper package name whenever possible
>>(i.e. gnome-desktop, not gnomedesktop).
>

> This would go against rule of not using dashes in port names for other
> reasons then prefixes/postfixes. That said, I still support your
> proposal here.

We've gotten out of that habit lately, thankfully. GNOME now has a
number of apps and libraries that contain dashes in the name. I think it
makes things clearer. AFAIK the "no dashes" rule was put in place to
make ${PKGNAME} parsing simpler, which is no longer an issue.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org