Summary of Adam's GNOME on BSD talk

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat May 14 16:46:13 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 22:39 +0200, Juergen Dankoweit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, den 14.05.2005, 15:39 -0400 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
>
> > <opinion>I wish more people would have attended.  I really feel we've
> > done a tremendous job with GNOME on FreeBSD, and Adam did one hell of a
> > presentation.</opinion>
> >
> > Joe
>
> First of all: YOU DID and DO a great job! Thanks for it.
>
> That only a few people attended to the BSD talk are in my opinion the
> following points:
> - the usability of Gnome 2.x has decreased since Gnome 1.4, e.g. the
> association between files and applications; how do I make an association
> between a StarCalc-File and StarOffice. With Gnome 1.4 it was easy:
> mime-type editor. On Gnome 2.x ???

I think it's even easier in GNOME 2.10.  You can right-click on a file,
select properties, then choose an application with which to open the
file.  As for MIME types themselves, adding them is a bit more
difficult, but doable (see
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q22).

> Yes you can say right mouse button and so on. But the entry is not
> "StarOffice - Calc", it is "staroffice". That looks awful! And how do I
> remove such an entry???

Easy.  Just click on the Remove button under the Open With tab in
Properties.

> - Adding fonts: How? Command line?

Open fonts:/// in Nautilus, and drag your fonts in.  They will instantly
be available to all fontconfig-supporting applications.

> - Adding entries to the applications-menu in an installation script;
> How?

You need to install misc/menueditor, then it's easy to add items.

> - problems in using gettext in self-written applications (currently I'm
> fighting with that in an own application without success)

I haven't seen any problems with gettext.