HAL on FreeBSD

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed May 11 07:25:18 PDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Juho Vuori wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working on porting HAL to FreeBSD for some time now, and decided to
> announce it in case someone is doing the same thing. There is quite some work
> involved so I don't want to duplicate anyone's efforts. I've got a
> preliminary device list built and hotplugging working somehow, but it's all
> still pretty messy.

I'm working on it, but I just started, so you're farther along than I am.

> One of the difficult decisions involved in this is where to mount all the new
> filesystem devices that gets plugged into the system, and I'd like to have
> someone's opinion on this who is more involved in FreeBSD than me. The thing
> is, it is possible someone stick a new USB memory to the system without it
> having an entry in /etc/fstab. HAL (if asked to do so), may in this case add
> an entry to /etc/fstab and mount the device automatically, but where to mount
> it? Now, linux has the /media -hierarchy which is really useful for something
> like this, but FreeBSD doesn't, and it's not really nice for a random piece
> of software to install things in the root directory of the system so this is
> not really an option. Another thing that comes to mind is creating something
> like /usr/local/share/hal/media/ and mounting new devices in directories
> under that, but that feels really clumsy as well. System administrators are
> of course free to decide what they think is best for them, but HAL needs a
> decent default policy, and I'm not sure what that should be. Any ideas?

FreeBSD does have /mnt.  Subdirectories under there might be a good idea.
For example, /mnt/media/* or /mnt/hal/media/*.  I think this would be
easier to find that something buried multiple levels deep.

> There is a lot of tiny things to do to make it as smooth as on linux, and I
> don't really have much hardware to test it with, but the core features are
> fairly simple and I hope to get something useful done by the summer.

Agreed.  I'd love to help.  If you want to make your code available, and
let me know where you're at, I'd be happy to do what ever is needed.

Joe