CPUTYPE and CFLAGS when building Gnome 2.10.1 on FreeBSD 5.4

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun May 1 14:05:43 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 22:02 +0100, Stuart Chalmers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm going to be rebuilding Gnome 2.10.1 from ports
> once FreeBSD 5.4 is released.  It's all too easy to
> get too involved with CPUTYPE and CFLAGS in
> /etc/make.conf, but I was wondering what the general
> opinion/experience on these was when building Gnome.

Use the default, and you will not encounter any problems.

> I'm less concerned with CFLAGS as the 'standard'
> advice seems to be that moving from -O to -02 has
> little effect, but is changing CPUTYPE likely to make
> much difference in performance?  Is there a 'highest'
> (i.e. newest) CPUTYPE (say, i686) that I can use
> before the Gnome ports start failing to build or
> become unstable during runtime.

Actually, changing CFLAGS to -O2 has a huge effect.  IF you do that
(knowing it's unsupported), you will also have to add
-fno-strict-aliasing.  As for CPUTYPE, I had luck with p3 in the past,
but I have since reverted to the default.  All Pentium 4 types are known
to cause problems as are some Athlon types.