Gnome FAQ: How do I open .rar files with file-roller

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun May 1 13:02:46 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 15:53 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 15:35 -0400, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> > Questions about how to open .rar files in file-roller have come up on
> > #FreeBSD-Gnome a few time lately.  Would something like this be useful
> > in the FreeBSD Gnome FAQ?
>
> Really?  This is the first I've heard it mentioned.  Admittedly I
> haven't been following as closely lately.

Probably just coincidence but I saw the question three times last month.
One being me of course.

> > How do I open .rar files with file-roller?
> >
> > To open a .rar file with file-roller the rar port (archivers/rar) needs
> > to be installed at run time.  The file-roller port does not need to be
> > rebuilt after installing rar.
>
> Note: this is only half the battle.  You also need the archivers/unrar
> port installed as well.

I took a closer look and yup, unrar is needed too.  Odd because I had
problems with .rar files until rar was installed even with unrar
installed.

> > Further, the rar port cannot be included as a run time dependency for
> > file-roller due to its license which prevents a FreeBSD package from
> > being created.  The unrar port has a less restrictive license and can be
> > packaged but it's binary is not used by file-roller for .rar support.
>
> Not only is this correct, but we decided including every possible
> archiver as a fileroller RUN_DEPENDS was just ridiculous.  People would
> build what they need to handle the files they use.  FreeBSD includes a
> number of reasonable defaults.

Only reason it came up for me is because rar files are still popular on
P2P networks.  (I swear I wasn't downloading the entire Judas Priest
album collection.)  Stuff like lha, arj, and arc I haven't seen in ages
but I still see rar used a lot.

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:FreeBSD