Gnome FAQ: How do I open .rar files with file-roller

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun May 1 12:34:59 PDT 2005

Questions about how to open .rar files in file-roller have come up on
#FreeBSD-Gnome a few time lately.  Would something like this be useful
in the FreeBSD Gnome FAQ?

How do I open .rar files with file-roller?

To open a .rar file with file-roller the rar port (archivers/rar) needs
to be installed at run time.  The file-roller port does not need to be
rebuilt after installing rar.

Further, the rar port cannot be included as a run time dependency for
file-roller due to its license which prevents a FreeBSD package from
being created.  The unrar port has a less restrictive license and can be
packaged but it's binary is not used by file-roller for .rar support.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:FreeBSD