Mono / libpthread bounty (was: $$$?)

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Mar 30 19:12:15 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 22:32 +0000, Phillip Neumann wrote:
> Hello...
>

> I just wanted to know.. how many of us are interested on getting
> mono-freebsd thread issues to solve?..
>

> Maybe some freebsd kernel thread ppl need motivation...
>
> i would take some money out of my little-pocket to motivate to do what
> it needs to get mono to work 99% ...
>

> do i think its a good idea?...

While I'm opposed to agreeing to paying a specific person to look at the
problems (I don't have the necessary qualifications to know how to
"hire" someone), I'm not opposed to contributing money towards a bounty
but I do have some minor reservations.

The only problem with a bounty that I see is determining its parameters.
Just because MonoDevelop and XSP work, doesn't mean all our threading
problems will be solved.  Problems people "haven't experienced yet" may
still linger or new ones may be introduced.  The other problem is a lot
of the work from my understanding of my last emails to freebsd-threads
will be in libpthread.  The person's work will need to be accepted by
FreeBSD's threads developers too.

If someone wants to even just take a look at Mono and libpthread to
determine what the problems are that would be great.  (I'd like another
opinion than the one I've already gotten to make sure we know what is
really wrong.)  I'm really interested in what any of the FreeBSD people
on this list think too.  Is this wise?

Thanks,
Tom
--