Evolution 2.2.1.1 crashing regularly

Conor McDermottroe lists at mcdermottroe.com
Tue Mar 29 08:35:33 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 17:12 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 13:55 +0000, Conor McDermottroe wrote:
> > Problem A:
> >
> > Evolution crashes regularly. I can't seem to find a pattern to the
> > crashes at all. A link to a backtrace from one of the crashes (caught by
> > bugbuddy) appears below. The backtrace is enormous, hence the reason I
> > haven't included it inline.
>
> This trace is useless since there are no debugging symbols.  You need to
> rebuild Evolution (and possible e-d-s) with debugging symbols, then get
> the full backtrace.

Apologies, that was pretty stupid of me. I've rebuilt both with
debugging symbols.

> In general, don't use bug-buddy to get stack traces.  Instead, run
> Evolution with:
>
> env GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG=1 evolution
>
> And then it should produce a core file when it crashes.  Run gdb against
> the core.

The following is probably more useful than the last. These are two runs
of Evolution and the backtraces obtained from running gdb.

http://www.mcdermottroe.com/evolution.run.1.txt
http://www.mcdermottroe.com/evolution.gdb.1.txt
http://www.mcdermottroe.com/evolution.run.2.txt
http://www.mcdermottroe.com/evolution.gdb.2.txt

> > Problem B:
> >
> > The tree view of mail folders is not updated correctly when messages are
> > marked as read. The count of unread messages in the tree view remains
> > the same while even when all the messages in that mailbox are marked as
> > read. The only way to get the count to update is to switch to another
> > mailbox (apparently to force a save of the mailbox) and then restart
> > Evolution.
>
> I don't see this here.  Of course, I'm on i386, and I'm using IMAP.
> There may be a problem with what ever protocol you're using, a 64-bit
> problem, or both.  In any event, it doesn't sound specific to FreeBSD.
> You might want to search through Ximian's Bugzilla, and file a new bug
> if you don't find anything relevant.

I'll have a deeper dig through their bugzilla, I hadn't spotted anything
similar before.

In case it sheds any further light on the situation, my mail gets
delivered and read as follows:

(fetchmail & procmail & SpamAssassin) -> Maildir -> Evolution

Thanks for the reply

Conor