Is something wrong with gnome-menus-2.10.1?

Radek Kozlowski radek at raadradd.com
Thu Mar 24 10:34:53 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:57:45AM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:37:48 +0100, Radek Kozlowski <radek at raadradd.com>
> >The weird thing is that there are some apps shown by Menu Editor that do
> >not appear in the menu:
> >
> >Office -> Abiword
> >Internet -> Firefox
> >Sound and Video -> VideoLAN Media Player
>
> Try to do the 'killall -HUP gnome-panel" or restart your desktop to see if
> those will appear again.

Tried that already, didn't help.

> >and there are apps and categories not shown by Menu Editor that appear
> >in the menu, like KDE category, the second Internet category, .hidden
> >stuff and also Internet -> Kadu.
>
> I don't think the ~/.hidden is a standard. I am not sure why gnome-menus
> finds it, but I will have to install KDE to find out what 3.4 has changed.
> As for Kadu, I took a look at port and it looks like it doesn't pick up
> because kadu.desktop doesn't has any of 'Categories' entry or maybe it
> doesn't know about different paths yet. You can try to add
> "Categories=Application;Network;" in your kadu.desktop and see what happen
> when you restart menu-editor.

Ok so it looks like the double entries and the Internet category in the
Desktop menu could be caused by this:

> pkg_info -L pl-kadu\* | grep .desktop
/usr/local/share/applnk/Internet/kadu.desktop
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/apps/Internet/kadu.desktop

and also the lack of Categories in the desktop file itself (adding it
makes the Internet category disappear from the Desktop menu - thanks for
the tip; however, menu-editor still doesn't show kadu). The only thing I
don't get is why it broke after upgrading gnome-menus from 2.10.0 to
2.10.1.

The .hidden categories, on the other hand, appear probably because of those
two files:

> pkg_info -L k3b\* | grep desk
/usr/local/share/applnk/.hidden/k3b-cue.desktop
/usr/local/share/applnk/.hidden/k3b-iso.desktop
[..]

Now to figure out why some stuff disappeared from the menu..

-Radek