2.8 -> 2.10 upgrade script

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 13:33:09 PST 2005

I've just upgraded my laptop from Gnome 2.8 to 2.10 (relatively)
painlessly.  Thanks to everyone for your work on this.

I do have a couple of suggestions:

- The gnome2 metaport wasn't upgraded automatically by the script.  This
resulted in problems when resolving dependancies at the end of the upgrade
procedure because the gnome2 metaport used to depend on cdrtools, but
nautilus-cd-burner-2.10, gnomemedia2-2.10 and other 2.10 packages depend
on cdrtools-cjk which conflicts with cdrtools.  nautilus-media (which is
no longer needed) was also required by the gnome2 metaport and was
therefore left around unnecessarily.  Can the gnome2 metaport be
force-upgraded by the script if it exists?

- The attached patch makes it more clear in the log file as to whether the
script actually succeeded or not.

Tomorrow, I'll be upgrading my desktop machine :)

Thanks,

Gavin