My impression about Gnome 2.10 + a couple of Qs

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Mar 20 15:52:35 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 11:30 +0100, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been a long time WindowMaker user and, although I've used KDE and
> Gnome in the past, I never really got into them. However, I wanted to
> give Gnome 2.10 a try, and I have to admit I'm liking it, and will
> probably switch to it fulltime when they fix some of the memory usage
> bugs (read: nautilus). I'd like to thank the FreeBSD gnome team for
> their great job as well.
>
> Now, there's a little problem. I use xemacs as my coding editor, and
> never had a problem before. Gnome insists on changing the aspect of the
> app, like KDE did, although I remember KDE having an option in the
> control center to disable that. I can't find this anywhere in the
> Gnome control center. How can I tell Gnome not to touch my xemacs? Or
> is it hidden inside the gconf files?
>
> This is how xemacs looks, with white bg instead of gray:
> http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org/images/emacs-fubared.png
>
> It's a stock xemacs built from ports + the NeXT icons.
>
> Besides that, I'm getting X errors every time paren highlight happens
> or I'm doing some editing. The errors look like this:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x1000be7
>   Serial number of failed request:  29461
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x1000be7
>   Serial number of failed request:  29462
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x1000be8
>   Serial number of failed request:  29469
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x1000be8
>   Serial number of failed request:  29470
>
> This does not happen when used with WindowMaker or XFCE, so I'm
> assuming it's metacity's/Gnome's fault.

See
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-gnome/2003-October/003503.html. Basically, gnome-settings-daemon merges X resource settings at startup.  Some problems with this as well as a possible workaround are discussed in this thread.  I'm not sure what came of George's quest with the GNOME people over this.

Joe