fam

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Mar 19 11:10:18 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 10:05 -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Alas, we used to have a section about this in our (FreeBSD GNOME) FAQ.
> > However, since we enabled FAM support by default in gnomevfs2, we
> > dropped it.  I think it would be worth adding back in as its own FAQ,
> > but I'm not sure if that's the best place to disseminate the
> > information.
>
> Well, I'm strongly influenced by my ex-RE-ness, but I'd think that the
> release notes would be one (but not the only) reasonable place to put
> this.  We already have a note for the 2.10 upgrade, and I think that it
> could use a little more explication vis a vis:
>
> 1.  The gnome_upgrade.sh script no longer upgrades ports that GNOME
> depends on (but are not parts of GNOME itself).  Users may need to
> manually upgrade certain ports (for example, using portupgrade(1))
> before running the upgrade script to ensure that they are compatible
> with GNOME 2.10.  Specific examples are devel/libtool15 (1.5.10_1 or
> later required) and print/freetype2 (2.1.9 or later required).

This is not the case.  the gnome_upgrade.sh script _should_ have
upgraded all ports on the system.  There was a problem with old pkgdbs,
however, that caused this to break.  Adam committed a fix, but it was
too late for most.

> 2.  GNOME includes support for the File Alteration Monitor (devel/fam)
> by default, in order to improve the GNOME desktop's ability to respond
> to files being added, deleted, or modified by other programs.  To take
> advantage of this functionality, FAM must be enabled in inetd.conf(5).
> More information can be found in ports/devel/fam/pkg-message.

This I'm adding as a GNOME FAQ.  This is beautifully stated.

> Picture the above two paragraphs just below the existing GNOME entry in
> the release notes, with appropriate SGML markup.  I assumed that the FAM
> change is a new one (between 5.3 and 5.4), right?

I think the first is not needed anymore, and I would rather see a link
to the FreeBSD GNOME upgrade FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq210.html, and/or our main FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html.  I don't think enough
people know we have substantial documentation available for GNOME on
FreeBSD.

Joe