fam

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 19 11:07:05 PST 2005

If memory serves me right, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> The upgrade script always updated the non-GNOME out-of-date ports. What
> end up happening was that people who had never run 'pkgdb -F' in their
> life were winding up with massive inconsistencies in the package
> database, and portupgrade would fall over on itself. The upgrade script
> now forcibly rebuilds the package database at the beginning.
>
> A plethora of users were certainly experiencing that problem. But, with
> version 2.10-3 of the gnome_upgrade.sh script (the one currently on the
> website), that problem is resolved *nod*
>
> Since that update, actually, bug reports have ceased. Which is neat.

OK, I understand now.  Thanks a lot for clarifying.

BTW, I should mention that when *I* did the upgrade from GNOME 2.8,
everything worked pretty well, thanks to everyone's hard work on this.
I would have said "worked perfectly", except that my workstation decided
that it wanted to panic in the middle of the upgrade.  :-p

> >>I have no problem with that message, but it's in no way new news.
> >>Nautilus has had fam support since at least 2.0.
> >

> > OK, forget it then.
>
> Given the message that said that KDE now supports fam as well, maybe an
> entry WOULD be a good thing? Something somewhere that says "Hey, GNOME
> and KDE users: enable FAM for a gooder desktop experience!"

Hmmm...you might have a good point.  Not sure what's a good way to word
that yet.

> I'm not familiar with the security implications of fam (it uses RPC, so
> I assume it's got Issues[tm]) [and I think it was wpaul who told me
> "GNOME users have a lot more than fam to worry about for security"], but
> maybe we should make fam auto-enable itself, and make fam support the
> default for the nautilus backend?

If it's decided that it should run from inetd, then there's the
additional requirement of setting inetd_enable in rc.conf.  (e.g. I
wasn't running inetd until I needed to enable it for fam.)  I'm not sure
if there is a precedent for doing that or not.

Bruce.