Upgrading seems like a hassle...

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 18 13:19:53 PST 2005

Kiffin Gish wrote:
> Just a comment to throw around and trigger discussion. Seems to me that the only way to upgrade gnome on freebsd is via an unorthodox script which takes just short of forever to run. My poor laptop churns for a couple days before I can use it again.

If you don't like the script, write a better one. The script removes
ports, and then reinstalls them in the correct order, with library
dependencies resolved. There's nothing unorthodox about that.

> For me this is such a hassle that it is a good reason not to go with gnome at all on freebsd in the first place -- especially when others like windowmaker, enlightenment, xfce4, etc. only need a simple portupgrade to get things going.

WindowMaker, Enlightenment, and XFCE4 are not nearly as large as GNOME.
Furthermore, they're not even the same THING as GNOME.  And what's more,
XFCE and Enlightenment depend on GNOME libraries anyway, so they'd be
subject to the exact same upgrade needs as the rest of GNOME.

> What do others think about this? Isn't there another less painful way possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are. You're wasting your time complaining. Do you think that we
are sitting here laughing to ourselves about how we've duped
unsuspecting GNOME users into running a script instead of just using a
simple portupgrade? Do you think that we've spent countless hours
building a port infrastructure and uprade procedures because it was
somehow the easy way out? Don't you think that if we knew about an
easier way to reliably upgrade a system that works for everybody, we'd
be advising that people do that instead?

I didn't like having to run the upgrade script either. I didn't like
having to keep my box down for a few days. We get no sadistic pleasure
out of making people jump through hoops to upgrade their systems. But
we've worked very, very hard to make the script take care of as many
things as possible, and require little more from a user other than
requiring them to find something non-computer-related to entertain
themselves with for a while.

I'll make you the same offer I've made to everybody else who's whined
about the upgrade procedure without offering a viable alternate solution
that will work for everybody: make a better upgrade procedure, and we'll
use it instead.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger