Upgrading seems like a hassle...

Kiffin Gish kiffin.gish at planet.nl
Fri Mar 18 13:08:50 PST 2005

Just a comment to throw around and trigger discussion. Seems to me that the only way to upgrade gnome on freebsd is via an unorthodox script which takes just short of forever to run. My poor laptop churns for a couple days before I can use it again.

For me this is such a hassle that it is a good reason not to go with gnome at all on freebsd in the first place -- especially when others like windowmaker, enlightenment, xfce4, etc. only need a simple portupgrade to get things going.

What do others think about this? Isn't there another less painful way possible? Am I doing something wrong?