add pstoedit as a dependency to inkscape

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu Mar 17 09:15:50 PST 2005

+----[ Alexander Nedotsukov <bland at freebsd.org> (17.Mar.2005 12:52):

| Fernan Aguero wrote:
|
| >+----[ To FreeBSD Gnome <fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> (16.Mar.2005 16:56):
| >|
| >| All of them disappear by installing pstoedit. The attached
| >| patch adds pstoedit to RUN_DEPENDS.
| >|
| >+----]
| >
| >Should I open a PR so that it doesn't get lost ... it's a
| >tiny and simple patch, though.
| >
| Well. I get it. But this tiny patch brings in big dependecy. I in a
| doubt that majority of people will be happy to build and install that
| stuff just for the sake of EPS import.

So, maybe it can be made optional or at least visible,
perhaps by adding a pkg-message. The problem right now is
that apart from the error messages I mentioned -- and that
some users are requesting to be removed, see:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6764851&forum_id=37513
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6770453&forum_id=36054
it is difficult for a user to know that s/he can install
external software to gain functionality. pstoedit is not
even mentioned in http://www.inkscape.org/tools.php (though
this is not our business, I'm about to report it to the
inkscape people).

In the future this might not be necessary since a
plug-in/extension manager is planned to be added to the
inkscape GUI, and messages of this kind might well go in
there.

| I also can see other extensions
| like DIA not plugged-in by default. From the other hand if they
| (pstoedit, dia) installed inkscape should pickup them at run-time.

Yes, they are not actually dependencies, since inkscape
would run nonetheless without them. But they are key
extensions IMO. Perhaps anyone using inkscape just knows
what s/he needs to install. Or perhaps we can just add a
pkg-message to raise atention about a number of selected
ports that would make a good addition to inkscape.

| What do you think guys?

This is what I think. Other ideas?

+----]