menus

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 16 13:53:20 PST 2005

Chuck Robey píše v st 16. 03. 2005 v 16:50 -0500:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Chuck Robey wrote:
> > | I need to know more about where files are in the FreeBSD gnome.  I don't
> > | want to pester you forever, but I need to know how to fix the location of
> > | files in gnome, so I can change things.
> > |
> > | It won't come as a shock to anyhow to know that gnome wants to assume it's
> > | always installed in Linux, or that Linux has the horrible habit of
> > | installing everything under /usr.  This means that I will never find files
> > | installed under a FreeBSD port installed where they would be in a classic
> > | Linux install (which most of their docs will assume they should be).  This
> > | isn't a complaint, it's quite right, and I am happy that the FreeBSD
> > | porters took this adult approach, if anything I am unhappy at the Linux
> > | folks for not doing this obvious thing (installing OUTSIDE of /usr,
> > | keeping ports OUT of /usr/bin, usr/share, etc, etc)
> >
> > Not true.  The FreeBSD ports have been modified to respected FreeBSD's
> > LOCALBASE and X11BASE.
>
> Not true?  Not true that FreeBSD doesn't install into /usr/bin?  I thought
> the meaning I had above was pretty clear, I wasn't trashing the port, Joe.
> I was saying, I don't like the Linux practice of installing software into
> /usr/bin, or anything like that, mixing with the system software.  You
> disagree with that?
>
> I'm amazed.

You know, as icky as it could sound, /usr/bin is actually *default*
prefix for this software. We are actively bending it to fit our idea of
world. Linux people are just leaving it where it naturally belong.

Deal with it.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep
the rabbit hole goes....