menus

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Mar 16 11:31:35 PST 2005

I need to know more about where files are in the FreeBSD gnome.  I don't
want to pester you forever, but I need to know how to fix the location of
files in gnome, so I can change things.

It won't come as a shock to anyhow to know that gnome wants to assume it's
always installed in Linux, or that Linux has the horrible habit of
installing everything under /usr.  This means that I will never find files
installed under a FreeBSD port installed where they would be in a classic
Linux install (which most of their docs will assume they should be).  This
isn't a complaint, it's quite right, and I am happy that the FreeBSD
porters took this adult approach, if anything I am unhappy at the Linux
folks for not doing this obvious thing (installing OUTSIDE of /usr,
keeping ports OUT of /usr/bin, usr/share, etc, etc)

OK, I have been pointed to a file that carries the gnome menu info, file
/usr/share/applications/mozilla.dektop.  I don't konw which of our gnome
ports installs this file, only that x11/gnome2 doesn't list it.  I looked
at the FreeBSD-gnome web page lookibng for any info on file mapping,
didn't find anything, so I am asking here.  I want to add a bunch of
browsers to the gnome file menus; can anyone point me towards a port that
installs this file, or perhaps the gnome file mapping for the FreeBSD
port (this is much better!)

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).