success

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Mar 15 14:58:40 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:45:41 -0500 (EST), Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > but not with the gnome_upgrade, that really never seemed to come close.
> > > used the x11/gone2 port, and a long time compiling.  A couple of items I
> > > notice, at least at the moment:
> > >
> > > 1) www/mozilla doesn't build
> >
> > It won't unless you update freetype2 first. I think, it's fixed in the
> > lastest gnome_upgrade.sh script.
>
> Great.  Thanks, I will do that quick as a flash.  I have to admit I
> forgot, while I was typing, to add in something I know very well:
> epi[phasy is based very strongly on mozilla, so anything that breaks
> mozilla is likely to break epiphany.  I will go update the freetype2 port,
> and see, I betch that fixes epiphany.
>
> BTW, notice ever how screwed up freetype is, as a port?  Not the FreeBSD
> port, I'm talking abou tthey way someone structured the freetype stuff
> itself, what a horrible build, the FreeBSD porter had real guts.

Followup.  Mozilla now works, epiphany now works.  OK, I saw stuff about
evolution, and it's giving me the razzberry, so I'll attack that one next.
I'm going to here urge you folks that are about to give up, don't, because
the new one works if you stay at it.  Works very nicely, the porters have
done us all a very, very nice job, a real service to the group here.

Let me drop off an interesting point, just to bother you.  If you guys
have listened to my rambling, then you know I went off for a couple years
and did the LInux-trip.  Like I said before, big waste of my time, EXCEPT
for one item, which I will drop off here/now.

There's one Linux that looks bsd-ish, and it's got one item about it
that's really and truly worth a minute of yor time.  The version is called
gentoo, they've for a website (whatelse) www.gentoo.org, and they have a
REALLY sweet setup for /etc.  Now I know we've improved ours here whilst I
was wasting my time away, but this is STILL intersting.  Besides other
things, it's got some very interesting sh coding, and uses a lot of
python.  They have a really portable setup for adding, subtracting, and
listing startup items.  Dependencies are really handled elegantly, via the
python coding.

Python.  That's something that we lack, and we shouldn't.  Seriously,
Python is a bsd-ish type language, that will allow fine style, good
algorithms, and code that can be READ as well as written (unlike perl).

We ought to consider tossing perl for python.  Find anyone who has
bothered to learn both, and get an opinion.  Don't trust anyone who has
only learned one, 'cause you can't know why your choice is the best unless
you're bothered to learn the compteition (the rest is dishonesty).  Or
better yet, if yo have the tine, learn both yourself.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).