Please tell me I didn't hose up too bad...

James Earl jamesd.earl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:53:24 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:44:17 -0500, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:39:13 -0700, "James Earl" <jamesd.earl at gmail.com>
> said:
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:35:42 -0500, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm>
> > wrote:

> > > It now appease to be "rebuilding all GNOME applications.  Does this mean
> > > that I've lost all of KDE?  Will the script rebuild that as well (along
> > > with xfce4, etc.) or am I now going to have to do all this manually?
> >
> > Do a quick 'pkg_info | grep kde' and see if it's still there.  I don't
> > know enough about how the gnome_upgrade script works to tell you off
> > hand what it did or is doing.
>
> No, no.  It's quite gone.  I haven't cried in quite a number of years,
> but this just might do it.  What is going to be the most efficient way
> to "get everything back?"  I assume gnome is currently installing (I
> hope...).  But how about everything else that got removed.  By leaving
> off the -restart flag by accident this time around, why did all the
> packages get removed?

You should be able to run 'tail -f <path_to_gnome_upgrade_tmpfile>' to
watch the progress of the gnome upgrade.  If you have multiple
gnome_upgrade temp files, just look for the one the is increasing in
size.

IMHO, use the FreeBSD KDE pre-compiled packages, unless you have some
reason not too.

http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/

And luckily, XFCE doesn't take long to build from the ports (unless
you have an extremely slow machine).