libm

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 14 01:45:58 PST 2005

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I'm still trying to build gnome-2.10 ... it's broken right now in building
> audio/arts.  The current error is one that's becoming depressingly
> familiar: moc died, it's missing a "libm.so.2".  In the past, for all
> these kind of errors, I would track down the executable that needed the
> old libm, but I am wondering, maybe it wouldn't be all that horrible a
> thing, to fake it out?
>
> Would it work for me, do you think, to have a softlink, from libc to libm?
> Woud it hurt anything? (As long as I didn't try to propagate anything that
> wanted to use libm!)  Would it actually work, solve that dependency
> problem?
>
> Or am I actually, for some reason, really better served by tracking down
> the old software and relink it?  That's a heck of a lot of extra work, you
> understand, right?

Chuck,

just a wild guess:

Is it possible that you have some ports on your system that were built
in the 5.3-BETA7 time frame? A version bump for several libraries was
performed then, and there was the advise to put the following into
/etc/libmap.conf:

# Handle shared lib version bump for 5.3-STABLE
libm.so.2                       libm.so.3
libreadline.so.4                libreadline.so.5
libhistory.so.4                 libhistory.so.5
libopie.so.2                    libopie.so.3
libpcap.so.2                    libpcap.so.3