Gnome-210 upgrade comments

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 13 10:50:17 PST 2005

Randy Pratt wrote:
> If portaudit is being used and there are any installed ports which have
> a security issue then gnome_upgrade.sh will fail.  The gnome_upgrade.sh
> does a pkg_deinstall and later tries to pkg_install which fails since
> there is a security issue with that port.

Hrmmn. You're not the first person to approach us about this. I wish
that there were a better way to do this... but lofi suggested that we
add DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES to the build environment.

I wish that there were a way to do this without having to disable
vulnerability checking for people who have explicitly called for it, but
it does seem the simplest and most functional workaround.

I'll commit that to gnome_upgrade.sh.

> I noticed that when the gnome_update.sh script would stop that
> quite a few packages that had been installed were still missing.
> Being a bit more cautious, I always used the -restart option for
> the script since I wasn't sure if starting the script fresh would
> reinstall those packages.

*nod* that's what the -restart option is there for. If you had re-run
the script from the beginning, you wouldn't have gotten your
applications back. I wish that there were a way to make this clearer. Do
you have any suggestions on how to make sure that people understand that
if something fails, they need only to correct that build problem (or
remove the offending port from the upgrade list) and use the -restart
option?

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger