Firefox and flash freeze on some sites

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 17:25:35 GMT 2005

On several sites with heavy flash usage, firefox will freeze.  This
seems to be irrespective of Window manager (in most cases I use fluxbox
but have had the same error with twm.)  It also has occurred with boxes
running 5.4-STABLE and 6.0BETA1 as well as on this machine.  The uname
output for this machine is

FreeBSD mail.scottro.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Jul 27 19:53:16 EDT 2005     scottro at mail.scottro.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/S11  i386

Once or twice, upon a new upgrade of firefox, I could visit one of these
sites and it would work as expected.  However, upon restarting X,
firefox would freeze once again.

I use firefox with the linuxpluginwrapper port, using the libmap.conf
(on both this machine and the 6.0 boxes, which are all I have at
present) sample for 5-CURRENT.  (The sample libmap.confs are installed
with the linuxpluginwrapper port.)

The latest firefox Makefile I have used, when experiencing this problem
is from

Jul 30 00:36 /usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile

Note that there have been improvements.  One of the sites that used to
freeze firefox was espn, and this seems to have been fixed.

However, if one goes to www.tvguide.com, clicks listings (you need to
register to get listings--I use a throwaway hotmail.com address) and
clicks a particular listing, firefox will freeze completely and one has
to pkill the application.   That is, it will work without problem until
you click on any particular listing which is supposed to open a window
and give a brief description of that listing.

This only happens on some sites, and I'm guessing that it's a flash,
rather than other issue, as all the sites ever mentioned (on, for
example, bsdforums) seem to be flash heavy.

Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem in various Linux
distributions.

The problem can be duplicated by going to tvguide.com, going to the
listings page and clicking any listing to get the show's description.

I will be happy to provide any further information that you think might
help.  I have java installed, however, that seemed to be automagically
detected by firefox upon installation, showing up in about:plugins
before I installed the linuxpluginwrapper.

I am not a programmer, so no doubt, I am leaving out useful information,
however, I reiterate that I will be happy to run any tests that you wish
run.

Thank you for all your work on firefox--aside from this issue, I can use
it in FreeBSD and view video, audio, most flash sites, etc.

Most sincerely,

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Harmony: So Slayer. At least we meet.
Buffy: We've met Harmony, you half-wit.