[ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Jul 21 05:32:03 GMT 2005

If none of those fonts generates a crash, I have to presume that
either the X server is not using freetype 2.1.0 for its freetype
font loading module or an X font server is in use.

Does the directory with that fonts.dir file show up in:

    xset q

and is X's .../modules/fonts/libfreetype.so linked against freetype
2.1.0?  (It may be a dynamic link w/ the dlloader, but I presume
would have to be a static link using the older elf loader.)

I was seeing crashes many months ago and stopped using scalable
server-side fonts as a result.  I found that I didn't need any
given that most of the apps I run now use Xft.  At that stage
I had a cvs version of freetype installed in /usr/lib.  Xorg
must have been linking against that rather than the version
in the xorg tarfile.  That is likely distribution-specific
behavior, though.

-JimC