[ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 07:39:44 GMT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:16:52 -0500, Hin-Tak Leung
<hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
> So the change is intentional. I just upgraded to stock freetype 2.1.10
> (was using cvs-2004-dec-31), went around a few web pages with
> mozilla-xft, and I don't have crashes. I am using xorg 6.8.2 on linux.
> How do you trigger the crash?
<snip>

I have played with it more to find a good way to reproduce it. Well, kind
of. Download crash.txt, then view in Firefox (maybe works for Mozilla
too). Be sure to save anything before you play with crash.txt, because it
will kill X.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/crash.txt

To reproduce crash in Firefox:

1) Run Firefox (keep in mind, everything option is default)
2) Open crash.txt
3) Go to menu, 'View -> Character Encoding -> More Encodings -> Unicode'
and select any in there. After you selected, then do it again but select
different Unicode like more than three times. Sometime it would crash X in
two changes.

As for Opera, it's a lot easy. All I have to do is open crash.txt and X
got crashed. My Opera option is heavy tweaked on fonts options by use
Microsoft fonts mostly, bold and other options. I have no idea if it will
crash with default option or without have non-Microsoft fonts installed.

FreeBSD GNOME Team