[ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 20 05:40:17 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 06:40 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 06:16 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> >
> >>The ChangeLog entry does mention the specific change explicitly:
> >

> > Ah.  Still kind of cryptic, though.  _Why_ shouldn't they be used?
>
> Well, not entirely cryptic - seems to be a rewrite with an 'enhanced bitmap
> loader' for the changes in the same group.
>
> >>2005-02-28  David Turner  <david at freetype.org>
> >>         * src/sfnt/sfdriver.c (sfnt_interface)
> >>         [TT_CONFIG_OPTION_EMBEDDED_BITMAPS]: Don't use `tt_find_sbit_image'
> >>         and `tt_load_sbit_metrics'.
> >>
> >>So the change is intentional. I just upgraded to stock freetype 2.1.10
> >>(was using cvs-2004-dec-31), went around a few web pages with mozilla-xft,
> >>and I don't have crashes. I am using xorg 6.8.2 on linux. How do you
> >>trigger the crash?
> >

> > Honestly, I have been able to trigger the crash myself.  It appears to
> > be triggered by a certain font (or set of fonts).  The Microsoft
> > webfonts seem to be particularly problematic.
>
> I have the microsoft fonts, actually, and I just changed mozilla-xft to use
> specifically courier new (the one in your gdb backtrace) for display. No
> crashes yet. Granted, mozilla-xft probably used it differently - *how* do you
> trigger a crash? You do realise the font name is quite broken (seems to be
> followed by garbage all the time) in your gdb bt?

This is not my crash dump.  However, the user that can reproduce this
crash can do so at will using Opera.

> "-webfonts-courier new-medium..."
>
> may worth checking your font.dir - seems to be hand-edited - mine
> is auto-generated by mkfontdir, and entry start with e.g.
> "-microsoft-courier new-..."

Ours is autogenerated by ttmkfdir.  You might fine some helpful hints on
crashing X from this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-359535-highlight-aalib.html?sid=58ed6c452268c0e3f213df9db314ee45.

Joe