xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 19 01:05:15 GMT 2005

(Removing freetype-devel)

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:51 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:24:40 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Looks like the freetype module in xorg (and XFree86) makes reference to
> > SFNT_Service->find_sbit_image which is now 0 in FT 2.1.10 (it used to be
> > initialized to tt_find_sbit_image).  This causes X to die rather
> > abruptly when trying to dereference this symbol:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/gdb/gdb-freetype2.txt
> >
> > I assume this was done by design in FT (though I couldn't find a commit
> > message that said spoke about this particular change).  If so, what
> > should X be doing to correctly obtain the glyph sbit?  Thanks!
>
> I have solved the crash. I have been using it for the thirty minutes and
> no crash so far. If I do unpatch and it will crash within five minutes.
> Here's patch to put in freetype2/files. Don't know if patch is right, but
> at least it's fixed for me.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/patch-src::sfnt::sfdriver.c
>
> I found it by compared freetype2 2.1.9 and 2.1.10, you can check if you
> want to see for youself. I removed compare of Makefile, configure and
> other useless stuff.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/freetype2-compare.diff.bz2
>
> It looks like 2.1.10 removed or disabled *find_sbit_image? Search for
> 'find_sbit_image' in freetype2-compare.diff.bz2.

Yes, this is exactly what I said in my email.  However, I'm almost
certain this is no the correct fix.  I more correct fix would be to
patch xorg's freetype module to check if sfnt->find_sbit_image is
non-NULL, and only call the function in that case.  However, I'm not
sure if there is a better solution.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org