editors/abiword-devel -- 2.3.2 is now available

Mikhail Teterin Mikhail.Teterin at murex.com
Wed Jul 13 22:52:16 GMT 2005

середа 13 липень 2005 18:24, Jeremy Messenger Ви написали:
> grep for 'png' isn't good enough, 'png.5' is bettter. What make you think
> everybody have the INDEX? I don't have any here.

Try ``cd /usr/ports; make fetchindex''...

> > So, there is no advantage in keeping the shared library numbers there,
> > but there is a significant disadvantage -- the users are required
> > to upgrade all changed dependencies, whenever they want to build abiword.
>
> I am expecting them to. People that keep old stuff and build new source
> that depend on old stuff cause a lot of problems, so force the habit of it
> to upgrade all new dependencies before you install anything new in port
> is good.

X Window developers famously went through a similar debate in their times --
decades ago. The prevailed point of view was to provide MECHANISM, NOT
POLICY. I urge you to recognize this point's wisdom.

Your idea is impractical too. Say I just built/installed the KDE suite. The
next day I updated the ports tree and the graphics/png got updated (and so,
duly, did abiword). Do you think, it is right to demand, that I rebuild the
whole KDE again (all the way up from Qt) in order to be able to add abiword
to my perfectly functional system?

Nobody does that and nobody should be forced to. AbiWord surely does not care
-- as long as png.h matches the libpng.so, it will be just fine.

> Check in bsd.*.mk and other ports. They all do the same things on
> different libraries.

I was referring to my having to explain the impossibility of ABI
incompatibilities, as long as headers match the libraries.

But yes, I know. There is no rational explanation for this (you are not
offering one either) -- just inertia... There are plenty of counter-examples
too, however:

	find /usr/ports/ -name Makefile | xargs fgrep LIB_DEPENDS | fgrep -v .

Yours,

	-mi