editors/abiword-devel -- 2.3.2 is now available

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jul 13 22:22:56 GMT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:10:29 -0500, Mikhail Teterin
<Mikhail.Teterin at murex.com> wrote:

> середа 13 липень 2005 17:49, Jeremy Messenger Ви написали:
>> > There would be no harm in extracting these, but there is a danger,
>> that
>> > now or in later releases something may include a header from the
>> bundled
>> > copy of one of the packages (PACKAGE), while still linking with the
>> > -lPACKAGE installed by the PACKAGE port.
>>
>> I think it's good idea, but remove abiword-plugins from the EXTERNALS.
>
> Why bother extracting abiword-plugins, when it is not needed? Aren't the
> plugins installed by their own port?
>
>> png.4 -> png.5, you still have to rebuild it anyway because of abiword
>> will be still linking to libpng.so.4.
>
> I am sorry, I can not parse the above statement. My point -- as you seem
> have missed it -- is that a user, who already has libpng.so.4 installed,
> should NOT be forced by the abiword build to upgrade his png port.
>
> If you disagree and think, she/he should be forced to do so, please say:
> "yes"...

Yes.

> Note, I'm talking about _package_ building -- that is not going to be
> affected
> by the change I propose _at all_.
>
>> So, force it to rebuild  abiword will get it to link on libpng.so.5. I
>> rather to keep them in  Makefile as what it's now, it's easier to grep
>> in
>> ports tree for know  which need to be change and bump.
>
> You can still grep for ``png''. Better yet, use the INDEX file. Having
> png.5
> there does not help you _anyway_ -- the png port has already gone through
> several upgrades without changing the major number.

grep for 'png' isn't good enough, 'png.5' is bettter. What make you think
everybody have the INDEX? I don't have any here.

> So, there is no advantage in keeping the shared library numbers there,
> but
> there is a significant disadvantage -- the users are required to upgrade
> all
> changed dependencies, whenever they want to build abiword.

I am expecting them to. People that keep old stuff and build new source
that depend on old stuff cause a lot of problems, so force the habit of it
to upgrade all new dependencies before you install anything new in port is
good.

> 	-mi

FreeBSD GNOME Team