HEADS UP: Realtime update support added to battstat

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 2 04:46:08 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 00:28 +0300, Vladimir Chukharev wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:11:43 +0300, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > I went through the code again, but I did not see any obvious file
> > descriptor leaks.  I did, however, find a few other bugs.  I've posted a
> > new version of the battstat patch at
> > http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-battstat-acpi.  Please try this
> > new version, and if you see those maxfiles messages again, get the
> > output of lsof for the battstat process (i.e. lsof -p <PID of
> > battstat-applet-2>).
>
> I put this patch instead of /usr/ports/x11/gnomeapplets2/files/patch-battstat-acpi
> reinstalled the port and added the Battery Monitor to a panel.
> then I ran lsof -p on it a few times. Each time the result was longer
> and longer, the lines with /dev/acpi were multiplying...
> I did not wait till I run out of maxfiles limit, just removed
> the monitor.
>
> Result of one of the lsof runs is attached.

Ah!  I was looking for a devd file descriptor leak.  I completely forgot
about /dev/acpi.  The fact that you're running into this leak means
you're probably not connecting to devd.pipe correctly.  Check the perms
on /var/run/devd.pipe to make sure they're 0666.  However, I have fixed
the leak, and a new patch is up at
http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-battstat-acpi.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org