Gnome 2.8 - VNCviewer not working in fullscreen mode

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Fri Jan 21 07:01:52 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm running into a strange problem using vncviewer unser Gnome 2.8
(FreeBSD 5.3):

Toggling between vncviewer fullscreen- and window-mode doesn't work
under Gnome 2.8.

Background-info: vncviewer has two modes of operation: windowed and
fullscreen - windowed renders the desktop of the remote machine
(vnc-server) in an X11-window (including decorations like minimize-
and maximize); selecting fullscreen in vncviewer displays the display
of the remote machine fullscreen on the vnc client machine.

To be specific, I've got a 1280x1024 X11-display; this is where the
vncclient is running. From this machine I'm accessing a Windows 2000
machine that also has a 1280x1024 desktop. So I've got the same
resulution on both the client- and server machine.

Now for the problem:

Switching between windowed- and fullscreen-mode in vncviewer is done
by bringing up a popup window in the vncviewer (F8-button) allowing me
to select (or de-select) fullscreen. When going from windowed- to
fullscreen mode in vncviewer using the method described above the
vncviewer-display covers the entire screen - with the exception of the
top Gnome panel. Put in another way: The vncviewer display is not
really full-screen but shifted downwards starting below the top Gnome
panel.

Even worse, when I now try to bring up the vncviewer menu by pressing
F8 again (in order to go from fullscreen- to windowed mode) nothing
happens.

Without being able to get into windowed-mode the vncviewer-display
covers my entire screen and even worse than that: There's absolutely
no way to bring other X11-windows in front!

Here's my environment:
FreeBSD 5.3
Gnome 2.8
VNC 3.3.7 from ports - also tried with tightvnc 1.2.9

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Anything that can be done
against it?

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald