n00b questions

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Tue Jan 18 02:58:26 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Jason Trickett wrote:

>   Hi. I'm just learning to use FreeBSD and have a few questions. I
>   noticed during my reading that a list of available packages for
>   freebsd is at [1]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ and
>   by using pkg_add -r packagename I can install new packages. I just
>   noticed that some of the versions available are newer than the ones
>   currently installed on my system. I tried to get the newer versions
>   using pkg_add but it said I already had the latest, which I know isn't
>   true (according to pkg_info). So how do I get the latest versions of
>   my fav apps? I'd also like to get the latest gnome2 desktop (2.8, I
>   believe) thru the packages system. I'm using the 5.3 Release.
>   Also, as a n00b I was wondering if there are any customization guides
>   available to help people like me get the most out of their systems,
>   pertaining to graphics cards, etc. Because some of the screensavers I
>   have aren't working so I assume I am missing something somewhere.
>   Eye-candy info like that, for instance.
>   Thanks.
If you really wish to run the latest binaries, you should learn
how to track FreeBSD -STABLE .
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Everything else will get you into trouble sooner or later.
Requirements are:
- a cheap internet connection
- a reasonable system (I am running a PIII (1Ghz, 500 MB RAM))

Greetings,

Uli.