textproc/libxslt depending on libxml >= 2.6.15

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Fri Jan 14 15:45:46 PST 2005

Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org> wrote
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:06:06 -0500:

|  The dependencies ARE correct. When you upgrade individual ports,
|  portupgrade only attempts to upgrade the ports you specify. When you
|  run 'portupgrade -a' -- which is how you should be administering your
|  installed ports -- it upgrades everything in the correct

That's quite a daring move on a critical system.  Some ports tend to
ruin your configuration by moving config files to a .bak copy and
similar.  But maybe that's considered bad behaviour for a port and in
reality not all that common?

|  > In the specific case, how would make in textproc/libxslt (Makefile
|  > 1.69) know that libxml2 should be installed before building?
|
|  Because of the line
|  USE_GNOME?=	gnomehack gnometarget libxml2
|
|  The effect of that line is to register a dependency upon libxml2.

Oh, I totally missed that. *blush*

But still, that doesn't say anything about which version of libxml2
that's required.  Of course, if we all use portupgrade -R for
everything, things will work smoothly and perhaps that's the right
thing in order to save us from having to maintain all the details
manually.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for putting up with less informed
questions.