textproc/libxslt depending on libxml >= 2.6.15

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Fri Jan 14 11:08:11 PST 2005

Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org> wrote
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:01:31 -0500:

|  > I was under the impression that the ports system handles these kind
|  > of
|  > dependencies through LIB_DEPENDS in the Makefiles.  How is portupgrade
|  > supposed to solve this in the case where you don't have libxslt
|  > installed to begin with?
|
|  Because libxslt can't install until libxml2 is upgraded. Running
|  'portupgrade -a' will ensure that all your ports are up-to-date. At
|  the very least, 'portupgrade libxml2' should fix your libxslt build
|  problem.

My build problem is fixed, thanks.

But I'd still like to understand how portupgrade can fix anything if
the dependencies given in the Makefiles isn't correct.  Does
portupgrade have any other sources of information than
/var/db/pkg/pkdgb.db, built from the information in the directories
under /var/db/pkg, which in turn comes from make install under
/usr/ports?

In the specific case, how would make in textproc/libxslt (Makefile
1.69) know that libxml2 should be installed before building?

|  The new version of portupgrade fetches INDEX, which takes 5 seconds,
|  instead of rebuilding it, which takes around 8 years.

:-)

Good news.  Thanks.