question about icons for non-gnome apps

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Tue Jan 11 08:36:34 PST 2005

+----[ Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> (08.Jan.2005 15:13):

[snip]

| I don't think this is possible.  In order for me to put custom icons on
| my various terminal launchers, I had to add those icons to each terminal
| profile.  It was work, but worth the effort.  Personally, I think this
| is a bug with GNOME, but haven't yet got annoyed enough to officially
| complain.
|
| Joe

+----]

Joe,

thanks for the answer, and excuse my delay in replying.

But what exactly is a 'terminal profile'? Is this a gnome
thing? Do these 'profiles' exist or should I create them?

I searched on my disk and found a directory named 'profiles'
for a variety of gnome apps under
/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps.

For example, for gnome-terminal, the %gconf.xml found under
/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/
has an entry named icon which apparently points to some
other place:
<entry name="icon" mtime="1104221888" schema="/schemas/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/icon"/>

and again looking around I've found yet another %gconf.xml
(why do they begin with a %?) at
/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/
(do the previous entry referred to this file?) which
contains again another entry named 'icon', but now with a
filename that does appear to point to an actual graphic
file:

<entry name="icon" mtime="1104221888" type="schema" stype="string" owner="gnome-terminal">

[several <local_schema> </local_schema> tags snipped]

<local_schema locale="C" short_desc="Icon for terminal window">
	<default type="string">
	<stringvalue>gnome-terminal.png</stringvalue>
	</default>

	<longdesc>
	Icon to use for tabs/windows containing this profile.
	</longdesc>
</local_schema>

am I on the right track? What other files should I need to
edit/create in order for this 'magic' to work? Or perhaps it
could be done with gconf?

Thanks again for any pointer,

Fernan