Firefox & Migrating stored passwords

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 7 13:05:30 PST 2005

Jeremy Prior wrote:
| On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:43 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
|
|>Sorry for my previous mail.  This is not true.
|>
|>I just made a quick import test and this work great.
|>(mozilla-1.7.5->firefox-1.0)
|>
|>Just sure that you doesn't have any master password on use in mozilla
|>before import and go to <File> <Import>.
|

| I've tracked down what the problem was: browser plugins.
|
| Firefox wasn't running the initial import, failing with:
|
|         % firefox
|         firefox-bin: Fatal IO error 78 (Function not implemented) on X
server :0.0.

| Subsequent runs would succeed, but the File->Import dialog didn't import
| saved passwords (although it did import everything else).
|
| Trussing the process didn't show anything untoward, except for an
| "-- UNKNOWN SYSCALL -1078988956 --" just before the above error message.
|
| I'm not sure which one of jdk-1.4.2p7, librsvg2-2.8.1_1,
| linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_2 or mplayerplug-in-2.70_2 is causing the
| problem but moving /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins out of the way,
| deleting ~/.mozilla/firefox and re-running caused the import dialog to
| appear and everything was imported successfully!  Even better, moving
| the browser_plugins back into place caused all of the plugins to appear.

This problem is caused by linuxpluginwrapper.  It's been brought up a
lot before.  I can't think of a good way temporarily disabling all
plug-ins for the first startup of a new version of Mozilla/Firefox for
each user.  Therefore, during upgrades, it's usually better to do what
you did, and move browser_plugins out of the way.

Joe

| Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.
| jez

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome