Firefox & Migrating stored passwords

Jeremy Prior jez at netcraft.com
Fri Jan 7 12:56:45 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:43 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> Sorry for my previous mail.  This is not true.
>
> I just made a quick import test and this work great.
> (mozilla-1.7.5->firefox-1.0)
>
> Just sure that you doesn't have any master password on use in mozilla
> before import and go to <File> <Import>.

I've tracked down what the problem was: browser plugins.

Firefox wasn't running the initial import, failing with:

        % firefox
        firefox-bin: Fatal IO error 78 (Function not implemented) on X server :0.0.

Subsequent runs would succeed, but the File->Import dialog didn't import
saved passwords (although it did import everything else).

Trussing the process didn't show anything untoward, except for an
"-- UNKNOWN SYSCALL -1078988956 --" just before the above error message.

I'm not sure which one of jdk-1.4.2p7, librsvg2-2.8.1_1,
linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_2 or mplayerplug-in-2.70_2 is causing the
problem but moving /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins out of the way,
deleting ~/.mozilla/firefox and re-running caused the import dialog to
appear and everything was imported successfully!  Even better, moving
the browser_plugins back into place caused all of the plugins to appear.

Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.
jez
--
      Jeremy Prior  <jez at netcraft.com>  http://www.netcraft.com/
 Netcraft Ltd, Treenwood Ho, Rowden La, Bradford-on-Avon, BA15 2AZ. UK