Firefox 1.0_7,1 crashes on start

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jan 5 22:45:25 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 22:07 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 02:50 -0500, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 01:17 -0500, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> > > Hi all, I'm getting the following crash when I try and start firefox
> > > after updating to the latest version in ports:
> > >
> > > (gdb) run
> > > ###!!! ASSERTION: nsTDependentString must wrap only null-terminated
> > > strings: 'mData[mLength] == 0',
> > > file ../../dist/include/string/nsTDependentString.h, line 67
> > > Break: at file ../../dist/include/string/nsTDependentString.h, line 67
> > > ^GType Manifest File: /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/components/xpti.dat
> > > nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering begins.
> > > nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering succeeded
> > > nNCL: registering deferred (0)
> > >
> > > Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> > > [Switching to LWP 100228]
> > > 0x28072950 in .rtld_start () from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
> > >

> > > I tried to get a further backtrace but all it gave me was the last line
> > > above.  Not sure what the problem is.  It worked fine up until my last
> > > portupgrade.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > Okay, here's a little more.  I notice some oddly named directories under
> > ~/.mozilla so I moved the directory out of the way.  Here is the
> > resulting contents of the newly created ~/.mozilla directory:
> >
> > [tom at compass tom]$ ls -al .mozilla
> > total 12
> > drwxr-xr-x   6 tom  tom   512 Jan  4 21:48 ./
> > drwxr-xr-x  67 tom  tom  2048 Jan  4 21:48 ../
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 tom  tom   512 Jan  4 21:48 h?$(/
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 tom  tom   512 Jan  4 21:48 h?$(???/
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 tom  tom   512 Jan  4 21:48 h?$(???/
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 tom  tom   512 Jan  4 21:48 h?$(???/
> >
> > Below is also the console output when not running firefox through gdb.
> > Hope this helps.  Thanks.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > <BIG snip>
>
> This really looks like you've built Firefox with debugging symbols or
> with -DWITH_DEBUG defined.  In general, don't do that.  The last error
> about the X IO error could be caused by the linuxpluginwrapper.  After
> building Firefox without debugging support, try unloading the lpw, and
> see if the problem goes away.
>
> Joe

Yup, built it with the debugging and logging options after it started
crashing.  Removing linuxplinwrapper, flash, and java got firefox to
start again.

That still leaves the funky directories that get created when firefox
starts.  I moved ~/.mozilla out of the way to let firefox create
everything on it's own.  First it forced me to create a new user profile
saying that the default user was in use.  No other instances were
running at the time though.  Attached is what's created after I startup
firefox for the first time.  (I couldn't even cut and paste the output.)
It looks like something is going wrong while trying to create
~/.mozilla/firefox.  This garbage is created if ~/.mozilla/firefox does
exist and occasionally subsequent starts create new garbage directories.
Thanks.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD