mozilla vs. nspr

Mikhail Teterin mi at corbulon.video-collage.com
Mon Jan 3 01:33:29 GMT 2005

> On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 05:33 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > Why do www/mozilla and www/mozilla-devel build and install its own
> > versions of libnspr4 into ${PREFIX}/lib/mozilla(-devel)?
>
> Because they need to. The version of nspr that comes with Mozilla is
> newer than devel/nspr.

What's the need for the external nspr, then? Do some pieces of mozilla
build use the external and some -- the internal nspr? Can't they be
fixed?

> > The ports require and the resulting mozilla-bin executables use the
> > ${PREFIX}/lib/libnspr4.so...
>
> Yep, because if they tried to use the port version, they would get
> undefined symbol errors.

Sorry, I'm afraid, we misunderstand each other. Currently, the
installed mozilla uses the lib/libnspr4.so -- from devel/nspr, and not
lib/mozilla/libnspr4.so from www/mozilla. What's the need to even build
the different nspr inside www/mozilla? And if it is somehow needed
during build, what's the need to install it?

> > Can this be fixed -- to stop the "DLL hell"? Thanks!
>
> There's nothing broken.  Both versions are unfortunate necessities.

I'm sorry, but using two different versions of the same software within
one application seems like a Bad Thing [TM]. Apps may do this, but the
good ports should not :-)

Yours,

	-mi