How does GNOME 2.9.x in MarcusCom treats you so far?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Feb 27 23:38:47 GMT 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:06:31 +0300, Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova at fbsd.ru>
wrote:

> В вс, 27/02/2005 в 16:20 -0600, Jeremy Messenger пишет:
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:34:58 -0600, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:45:09 +0300, Vladimir Grebenschikov
>>> <vova at fbsd.ru> wrote:
>>>
>> <snip>

>>> Insteresting.... I will have to check in my local machine for
>>> share/applications/kde... It might be easy fix, I will check it
>>> tomorrow.
>>
>> After the more check up with marcus, we agree that there is no way for
>> us
>> can do with that. There are a lot of icons that aren't working, because
>> of
>> GNOME is not in KDE's theme. For example, kmail is in Locolor,
>> crystalsvg,
>> kdeclassic and slick that GNOME doesn't have. Anything images that are
>> in
>> hicolor or the root of the icons directory will working fine. For
>> example,
>> kturtle and quanta work fine because their images are in hicolor.
>
> Why hicolor ?

Because, it's part of freedesktop standard.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
=======================================
In order to have a place for third party applications to install their
icons there should always exist a theme called "hicolor" [1]. The data for
the hicolor theme is availible for download at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/icon-theme/. Implementations are
required to look in the "hicolor" theme if an icon was not found in the
current theme.
=======================================

> How about default.kde ?

Don't know, KDE is the one that need to change. I don't want to hack in
GNOME to break the standard for KDE's sake.

> % find default.kde/ -name '*.png' | wc -l
>     2874
> % find hicolor/ -name '*.png' | wc -l
>      168
> % find crystalsvg/ -name '*.png' | wc -l
>     2874
>
> Looks like default.kde has all required KDE icons, why we do not
> fallback or use as primary it ?

The fall back is to hicolor.

>> Cheers,
>> Mezz