Firefox custom build hints?

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 27 07:36:00 GMT 2005

Please don't drop the Cc: gnome at FreeBSD.org.

markzero wrote:
>>>Greetings.
>>>
>>>I'm planning on trying to make a custom build of Firefox for FreeBSD.
>>>I assumed that you, being the maintainer for the port, would be the
>>>best person to address a few questions to first:
>>>
>>>1. How may I modify the ports Makefile in order to enable static linking
>>>  and stripping? By this, I don't mean 'please guide me step by step',
>>>  but rather in your opinion, where would be the best place to make
>>>  this modification? Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the
>>>  firefox configure/build scripts.
>>
>>./configure --help
>

> Heh, perhaps I should have been a little more precise. I actually meant:
> where would you recommend adding lines in the port makefile in order to pass
> additional options to the configure script?
>
> I'm assuming something along the lines of:
>
> PTIONS=         DEBUG "Build a debugging image" off \
>                 LOGGING "Enable additional log messages" off \
>                 OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS "Enable some additional optimizations" off \
>                 XFT "Enable support for anti-aliased fonts" on \
>                 SMB "Enable smb:// URI support using gnomevfs" off \
>                 NEWTAB "Open external links in a new tab" on \
>                 BUILD_STATIC "Compile statically" on
>
> And then:
>
> .if defined(BUILD_STATIC)
> CONFIGURE_ENV+=      ENABLE_STATIC=yes(?) #this is obviously incorrect
> .endif
>
> I'm having trouble understanding how CONFIGURE_ENV is interpreted or
> passed to the configure script.
>
> Sorry for the simplistic questions but I'm loathe to experiment with a
> port of this size as I'm on a very slow box and a firefox compile takes
> around 1h 30.

You want CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--some-option

Are you just doing this for yourself, or are you suggesting that we
should be adding that option to the firefox Makefile? And if the latter:
why would anyone else want a statically linked firefox?

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org