sound-juicer and goobox fail to start

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 19 10:21:39 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:27:04 -0500
Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:01:16 -0500
> > Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm running FBSD5.3-STABLE and have configured my kernel with the
> >>appropriate options per the FAQ as well as made the appropriate
> >>entries in /etc/devfs.conf, but I can get neither sound-juicer or
> >>goobox to start on this box
> >>
> >>There's no error output when launched from console, so I'm not sure
> >>how to troubleshoot.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> >>direction.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>

> > Anyone...anyone...?
>
> "I can't get app xyz to start" is ambiguous and not much of a bug
> report.

I'm not sure this *is* a bug.  I've installed these apps via ports and
configured my kernel and devices per the FreeBSD Gnome FAQ (specifically
question 15:  Nautilus-cd-burner does not let me burn CDs or
Totem/Goobox/Sound-juicer cannot find my CD/DVD drive.

> People aren't going to be able to help without understanding
> exactly what behaviour you're seeing, and exactly what you've done.

I have installed the apps as mentioned above and when attempting to
launch from console ($ goobox) I get a pop-up stating:

Cannot start the CD player

In order to read CDs you have to install the cdparanoia gstreamer plugin

I believe that I've done this (making gstreamer with the cdparanoia
option) but how can I verify?

> # Adam

Trey
----

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
working for you.
		-- Will Rodgers

FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE i386 i386 GENERIC
 1:15PM  up 1 hr, 0 users, load averages: 0.24, 0.29, 0.20