gedit and scrollkeeper problems on 4.11 system

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Feb 14 09:26:16 PST 2005

I am unable to update gedit and seem to have messed up scrollkeeper.

The system is running 4.11-stable and all ports are updated regularly. I
have tried updating to gedit-2.8.2_1 to 2.8.3 and failed to get it to
install properly.

The first issue is that in help/C has:
for file in gedit-C.omf; do \
        install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 $file.out /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/omf/gedit/$file; \
done

While gedit-C.omf is there, I don't have a gedit-C.omf.out, so the
script fails. portupgrade then starts re-installing the old
version. Then the REALLY scarry thing happens:
--->  Restoring the old version
update-desktop-database: not found
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

All of the segmentation faults are in scrollkeeper. This is where I
really get worried. I really don't want to re-install all of Gnome,
especially when 2.10 is so close and that will force a complete Gnome
rebuild.

Any ideas what went wrong here?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer