nautilus hung

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Feb 2 17:53:45 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 15:55 -0800, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> So I was going to play a video file, and all of my Nautilus windows hung. So
> I killed them (via gui) thinking that it'd either come back on its own or I
> could bring it back manually.
>
> It didn't, and I lost my desktop. Manually restarting Nautilus doesn't
> help... nothing happens.
>
> ps -ax reveals:
>
>   693  ??  TLs    2:18.86 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id
> default3
>
> Not even a kill -9 will make it go away so it can restart.
>
> Granted, I could reboot my computer... but this happens every once in a
> while, so I'm interested in knowing if there's a proper way to bring it
> back. Thanks

The same has been happening to me with evolution since 5.3.  The program
occasionally gets stuck in that unkillable state while checking for mail
on my IMAP accounts.  I've had this happen to nautilus on rarer
occasions and OpenOffice once.

I wanted to gather a backtrace for this list on one of the crashes but
using ddd and trying to attach to the PID of the hung process causes my
machine to spontaneously reboot.  I once ran evolution through ddd for a
few days.  I saw crashes in ddd but nothing ever critical enough to
cause evolution to fully crash or hang.  I just clicked continue and evo
would keep running.  Incidentally, evo never got stuck in an unkillable
state during that time.

For the longest time I though I was the only one going crazy with these
crashes.  :)

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD