nautilus hung

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Wed Feb 2 15:55:35 PST 2005

So I was going to play a video file, and all of my Nautilus windows hung. So
I killed them (via gui) thinking that it'd either come back on its own or I
could bring it back manually.

It didn't, and I lost my desktop. Manually restarting Nautilus doesn't
help... nothing happens.

ps -ax reveals:

  693  ??  TLs    2:18.86 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id
default3

Not even a kill -9 will make it go away so it can restart.

Granted, I could reboot my computer... but this happens every once in a
while, so I'm interested in knowing if there's a proper way to bring it
back. Thanks