gdm, RELENG_6 update

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 30 13:43:05 PST 2005

In case someone else sees this problem:

I updated a couple of i386 machines from RELENG_6 around the December 12
timeframe to RELENG_6 as of today.  When I was done, I rebooted and
discovered that gdm wasn't getting any of my keystrokes, so I couldn't
log in.

Random search engine flailing didn't help me much, but I did notice
r1.63 of ports/x11/gdm/Makefile, which reads:

> Seems -CURRENT needs a few tweaks to get gdm starting correctly.  First,
> we need to depend on LOGIN and cleanvar in our rc.d script, plus, we need
> to enable VTAllocation.

I portupgraded to gdm-2.8.0.7_1 to try to get this fix but it didn't
help because updating the port (rightly so) won't touch the installed
gdm.conf file.  It turns out that I needed to manually edit
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf and set the following two lines
(uncommenting them if necessary...I assume that anyone reading this is
able to find similar-looking lines in this file and do the right thing):

FirstVT=9
VTAllocation=true

All works well now.

I suppose a somewhat faster way to do this would be to copy
factory-gdm.conf (in the same directory) to gdm.conf, since I had not
made any changes to gdm.conf.

Hope this helps someone...

Bruce.

PS.  I don't know exactly what changed on RELENG_6 to make it work like
HEAD.