Gdm session files

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Aug 28 20:14:53 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 22:09 +0200, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On Aug 28 at 14:49, Joe Marcus Clarke spoke:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 20:32 +0200, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> > >   On Aug 28 at 12:15, Dominique Goncalves spoke:

> > > Ok. I have created an icewm.desktop with Name=Icewm. This appears as
> > > '3. Icewm'.
> > > And I've create an xinitrc.desktop with Name=Xinitrc. But this
> > > appears as '4. foo'.
> > > Why is 'foo' used instead of 'Xinitrc'?
> >
> > Your TryExec line is probably wrong.  Note: you should not create
> > a .xinitrc entry for any display manager.
>
> Why not?

Because .xinitc and a display manager do the same thing in different
ways.  In any event, what you're doing below is not possible.

> My whole xinitrc.desktop looks like:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Xinitrc
> Comment=Xinitrc
> Exec=$HOME/.xinitrc
> TryExec=$HOME/.xinitrc
> Icon=
> Type=Application
>
> So what is the meaning of TryExec?

TryExec means, test to see if this file is executable.  If it is, then
this is a valid desktop entry.  If not, then it's foo.  $HOME is not set
when GDM starts, so putting $HOME in there will not work.  It would be
best to write a wrapper script that can execute each user's .xinitrc
after GDM starts the desired session.

> Are these fields documented somewhere?

Yes, in the GDM online help.