Wireless

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Aug 18 07:52:08 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 00:47 +0000, Phillip Neumann wrote:
> As i wanted to forget about playing with ifconfig to configure the
> wireless connection, and did not find something like wifi-radar for
> linux (the python program),
> did a similar thing wich speaks with ifconfig.
>
> It works most of the time here. It works over mono and gtk#2
>

> anyone has a wireless card to test this there?..
> what do you think?
>
> mine is a intel2100 card.
>
> the program works with
> "ifconfig ipw0"
> so if you have lets say the wi0 device, do this before
> "ifconfig wi0 name ipw0"
>
> (how do i list all wifi devices?)

There's no good way to do it with ifconfig, but one way that will work
(and we've used similar methods in other apps) is to create an array or
hash of all known wireless interfaces.  Basically:

an
iwi
ipw
ndis
ath
wi
ral
ural

Then, you can use ifconfig -l to list all available interfaces, and do
further processing on any that match your static list.

> Problems i have found (do you get the same ones?):
>
> - The Process() class doesnt see to work fine, it leaves <defunct>
> processes behind

You need to cleanup after your process.  In Java, this is done using the
Process.waitFor() method.  I'm sure there is something similar in C#.

> - ifconfig ipw0 scan does not delete ssid's when the becomse offline
> (driver problem?)

I'm not so sure.  Why would you want it to delete SSIDs just because the
interface goes down?  If it were brought up, having the SSID configured
would give it a better chance of reconnecting.

> FreeBSD 6.0-beta2 on x86
> and Mono 1.1.8.3
>

> http://sofsis.cl/GW/GWireless.exe
> http://sofsis.cl/GW/GWireless-0.0.2.tar.gz

I haven't yet given myself over to Mono, but the screen shots look
promising.  You might want to expand to WPA support as well.