Gnome problems

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 17:02:19 GMT 2005

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 05:29:19 -0500, Erich Dollansky
<oceanare at pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> obvious It is wrote:
>>   I have downloaded ports colections then I was in
>>   /usr/ports/X11/gnome2-fifth-toe and typed
>>   make install
>>   After i have wateded for a long time for downloading
>> an installing dependinces)the process was over.
>>   Now i try to start it with startx but it's not
>> working

What's not working? We can't read your mind for see what error you are
getting.

>>   Can you tell me why ?
>>

> I am not the Gnome person but I think you have to start it with either
> gdm oder xdm and set Gnome as the default desktop.

You don't need gdm and xdm to start GNOME, but it will give you more
features if you use gdm by allow you to restart, shutdown and etc by
click. Without gdm, you only can logout then type shutdown by manual.

obvious, please visit to the FreeBSD Handbook before you make another
question.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

>> (x windiow was not instaled before the gnome instalation)
>>
> You did not got the default route but it still should all be installed
> now.
>
> Erich

FreeBSD GNOME Team